A tasty and made-from-scratch soup that comes together quickly with the help of instant mashed potatoes and powdered milk. Note: Makes 4 Servings.
- 4 cup broccoli (chopped)
- 1 onion (small, chopped)
- 4 cup chicken or vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 1 cup evaporated milk, non-fat
- 1 cup mashed potatoes, instant (prepared in water)
- salt and pepper (to taste, optional)
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (or American)
- Wash hands.
- Combine broccoli, onion, and broth in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add milk to the soup. Slowly stir in potatoes.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly and thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper; stir in a little more milk or water if the soup starts to become too thick.
- Ladle into serving bowls.
- Sprinkle about 1 Tablespoon cheese over each serving.