Spicy and satisfying, this recipe can be easily doubled for leftovers the next day! Yum! Makes 4 servings.
- 1/2 cup brown rice, instant uncooked (or white rice)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil (or corn oil)
- 3-ounce low-fat smoked turkey sausage ring, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch pieces (lowest-fat and sodium available)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (medium, chopped)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, medium (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 can black-eyed peas (no salt added, rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
1. Prepare the rice using the package directions, omitting the salt and butter/margarine.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium non-stick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the sausage for 3 minutes or until richly browned, stirring frequently.
3. Stir in the bell pepper and jalapeño pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
4. Stir in the peas, water, and salt. Cook for 2 minutes, or until the mixture is thickened slightly but some liquid remains. Remove from the heat.
5. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes so the flavors blend. Stir in the rice. Transfer to a serving bowl.
Source: Power to End Stroke: 46 Healthy Soul Food Recipes Cookbook
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Linoleic Acid||1 g|
|a-Linolenic Acid||0 g|
|Omega 3 - EPA||0 mg|
|Omega 3 - DHA||1 mg|
|Total Carbohydrate||43 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|
|Total Sugars||4 g|
|Added Sugars||0 g|