Lentils and raisins are a surprising and delicious duo in these sweet and savory tacos. Green peppers add extra flavor and texture. Enjoy with a tossed salad on the side.
- 1 1/2 cup dry lentils (sorted and rinsed)
- 4 cups of water
- 1/2 green pepper (chopped)
- 4 garlic (cloves, minced)
- 1/2 hot pepper flakes (1/2 teaspoon, optional)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 2/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- Cook lentils in 3 cups water for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes (Add more water if necessary)
- Serve with corn tortillas. Can also be served over rice or noodles.
Alternate seasoning: 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning instead of the other spices.