This creamy soup can be prepared using pantry staples such as canned tomatoes and non-fat dry milk. Garlic and onion give this delicious soup an extra kick of flavor. Makes 4 servings.
- 1 onion (medium, chopped)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic clove (crushed, or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 can tomatoes (14 1/2 ounce, drained and chopped)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper (ground, a pinch)
- 1 teaspoon basil (dried)
- 2/3 cup non-fat dry milk (NDM) (+ 2 cups water or substitute 2 cups nonfat milk for the reconstituted NDM)
- salt and pepper (optional, to taste)
- In a medium saucepan, cook onion in oil over medium heat, stirring frequently until golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Add chopped tomatoes.
- Cook uncovered over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Spoon 3/4 of the mixture into a food processor or blender container; puree until smooth. Return to saucepan.
- Add red pepper, basil, and reconstitute NDM to the soup. Heat until hot but do not boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper (optional). Serve immediately.